Following a car accident, many victims are left confused, distressed, and injured. As a result, they do not have the composure to make sure they gather all of the critical information that is needed to construct a strong auto accident lawsuit later. The decisions you make in the minutes, hours, and days following your accident are critical. Use these 10 steps to know exactly what you need to do after a car accident in Orlando.
1. Get medical assistance. If you or anyone else in the accident has been injured, get medical treatment as soon as possible.
2. Ensure that your tow operator, mechanic, or junkyard contact retains any and all pieces of evidence, even things that may seem insignificant.
3. Document the scene as best you can. Take notes, sketch a diagram of the accident, note the date and time, and jot down any significant landmarks or weather conditions.
4. Get information from the other drivers involved, including full name, insurance, license number, address, and two ways to contact them. Obtaining both a phone number and email address is ideal.
5. Make sure you are aware of the difference between the replacement value of your car and what you actually owe on the car. If your car is totaled, most car insurance will only cover the cash value of your vehicle at the time of the accident.
6. Keep receipts for money you spend on car rental, medical bills, and purchases made in connection with the motor vehicle accident.
7. Call the police. Dial 911. A police report is one of the first piece of evidence that can be used to substantiate your case.
8. Videotape the scene as soon as possible. Come back to document it if you do not have a camera on you.
9. Get witness names, numbers, and addresses
10. Take pictures of any bruising, cuts, scrapes, and other injuries you may have suffered
Our auto accident attorneys will be able to give you legal advice to protect your life and family. At The Umansky Law Firm, we will deal with the insurance companies, so you can focus on your medical treatment and physical recovery.
From our offices in Orlando, we help victims of accidents every day. Please do not hesitate to contact us for a free case evaluation. Call today.
Orlando Criminal Defense Attorney